I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I love Stephanie Brown. She is my favorite comic book character. She beats out Batman, Barbara Gordon, Catman, King Shark, Scandal Savage, Power Girl, Kitty Pryde, Havok, Superman, Superboy, Supergirl, Apollo, Midnighter, Jenny Sparks, and even the Hopeless-Savage clan. All of whom I love.
She’s not in the DCnÜ. I’ve waited, but the news is never good. Back in March, DC Women Kicking Ass broke some news that at Emerald City Comic Con. I’m just going to quote it:
But yesterday someone above the creator level, Batman head editor Mike Marts, provided some direct answers for the audience about the status of Stephanie Brown:
- Q: How’s the post-Steph Brown Batman, Inc. transition going?
- A: We’re not allowed to talk about that.
- Q: Will Steph Brown be back any time soon?
- A: Nope.
- Q: Why isn’t Steph Brown considered a Robin any more?
- A: Willingham: I’m so glad I don’t have to answer that one. Martz:(sic) Steph is close to my heart, close to all of our hearts. But for the moment we’re staying away from her.from DC Women Kicking Ass, dated 03/31/2012, emphasis original
Cut to a few months later, and we get the announcement that Steph will be showing up…in Smallville, Season 11. Which is awesome, but not a part of the New 52. I’m happy for her, she’s being written by Bryan Q. Miller, who knows the character. I’ll read it.
In short, on August 10th, they want people to deliver waffles to DC world headquarters, along with a note or essay about what Steph means to you. Why waffles? Read Bryan Miller’s 24 fabulous issues of Batgirl (available in trades and on Comixology! Or look at these pretty pictures:
So please, if you want to help Steph out, get a waffle and send it to DC World Headquarters on August 10th. Write them a note, or an essay, or a poem about why Steph is so important to you and put it with the waffle. (Please, please, please don’t be negative. Steph wouldn’t like that.) Send it to:
New York, New York
More information about the project can be found at the Waffles for Steph facebook page:
Waffles for Steph
Or on this forum thread:
Let’s bring Steph to the DCnU
Finally, another facebook fan page:
Save Stephanie Brown